Saturday, March 2, 2013

I haven't been out of the house yet today...

I finished reading You can buy happiness (and it's cheap) by Tammy Strobel. It's all about simplifying and downsizing.

I've been simplifying for a few years, but I wondered this morning if I paired down possessions if I'd worry less about the contents of the house. I inherited this house and a lot of stuff came with it. Some of it good: nice antiques, pretty dishes, a fantastic Krakauer piano built in 1909 which stays in tune, my grandmother's writings about family history, 90 year old family photo albums, some jewelry.

If I scanned or copied the family history and photos and stored the copies in my safety deposit box, I wouldn't have to worry. If I photographed some of the bigger stuff, then if anything catastrophic ever happened, I'd at least have some memories of the stuff. I know that what I must really do is get unattached to stuff.

I went through some closets this morning and put aside winter and fall coats, dress wool blazers, pretty dress skirts I never wear, blouses, purses, and sheets. I'll offer them to a family member who sometimes goes through my stuff and then hands them off to someone else.

The only reason I haven't left the house yet today was that I did a lot of sorting throughout the house and then decided to correct all of my students compositions and enter their marks so that I'll really be on vacation during this March break.

It's windy, cloudy and cold today, so I didn't feel like going out to ski or snowshoe. I'll make myself go out after I have a bite to eat. My elderly aunt and uncle just moved to another apartment building in assisted living, so I'll go being them a house warming gift. I used to put aside some of the homemade soup and baking I do every Sunday, but now she doesn't have to cook anymore. They get their meals served in a common dining area.

I'll leave the house this evening and let you know how it all went.

No comments:

Post a Comment